My public goods: Here is a curriculum of building blocks for a finance PhD, and here are papers to know. Both are works in progress.
Assorted advice for PhD students that I have collected over the years:
- Essential: Eric Zwick’s 12 rules is something I look at to regain focus, Laura Blattner’s 15 rules to help make it through grad school.
- Courses & PhD progression: How to survive your first year of grad school in economics, Eble’s guidebook, David Romer “out in 5”.
- Research & Writing: Ten Rules of Writing Your JMP by Claudia Goldin and Lawrence Katz, John Cochrane’s Writing Tips for PhD Students, Kremer checklist for writing papers, Peter Diamond’s research strategy, Don Davis thesis research: where to start, Varian’s how to build a model in your spare time, David Weil’s pep talk.
- Job Market: Job Market guide, Hamermesh’s The Young Economist’s Guide to Professional Etiquette.
- Profession: Dixit’s system of work, McAfee on being an editor.